Eight months ago, I interviewed David Wagner, internationally acclaimed hairstylist, entrepreneur and owner of Juut Salonspas, the original Aveda salons.
In that inspiring video interview, David, who was diagnosed with cancer four months earlier, candidly shares how he faced his own mortality and how his cancer experience has changed his life.
Two months ago, after much uncertainty, David received the wonderful news that he was cancer-free. To celebrate his birthday yesterday, he sent out the following letter to his friends and followers. It is a touching love letter filled with joy, gratitude and some great ideas for celebrating not only your birthday, but every day of your life.
Happy Birthday, David!
BIRTHDAY LETTER FROM DAVID WAGNER
Hello, fellow Daymakers,
Wow, what an incredible year this has been! Last year at this time there were thousands of people around the world that gave me an enormous gift on my birthday, which is today. A Daymaker friend of mine in Tucson came up with the idea to spend a minute at 12:00 noon Central time to pray for me since I was diagnosed with cancer five days earlier and was in pretty rough shape after losing 40 pounds and could not walk without assistance. He was able to spread the word via facebook, twitter, and the Daymaker movement website and soon there was a Daymaker community formed for that one minute in time. Remarkable, isn’t it?
My wife Charlie and I laid in our bed together and just hugged each other shortly before noon and then waited for the clock to strike 12. It was one of the most memorable moments in my entire life. I just soaked it up, I knew there were people in my neighborhood that were praying for me as well as people around the globe from Taiwan, Hawaii, South America, Europe and others. It was truly one of the most incredible blessings that I have ever been bestowed. I will remember that time hugging Charlie my wife for the rest of my life.
So I am well and in remission and I can’t tell you how great that feels to even type one year later much less be living cancer free. Along the way I have met many other cancer victims along their journey. Sadly, some have passed away and others are still fighting the fight. What I’d like to humbly ask today is that you take a moment at noon and just pray for those in your lives in need of healing. It makes an enormous difference not only for the person with the illness but it will make your day as well.
Here is a quick list of things that I intend to do on Daymaker day.
1. Write my parents a letter thanking them for their faith and dream that they have had for me since my birth.
2. Help a complete stranger smile.
3. Take a walk by myself for an hour, and give thanks for all the beauty that is in my life.
4. Tell a story about my childhood birthdays to my two daughters at dinner.
5. Send a check to my favorite charity.
6. Write down my dreams for the rest of my life.
7. Make my own day by taking the time to watch the sun rise and set on my birthday.
8. Drive the kids to school in the morning and walk them to class.
9. Start on my new book Faces of Cancer, a journey of transformation through crisis.
10. Even though this has been one of the most difficult years of my life filled with fear, anger, doubt, and uncertainty I intend to take the time to thank God for the blessings that also came my way this year. Love, compassion, awareness, bewilderment, faith, and of course your prayers and well wishes that were so beautiful in my time of need.
What’s on you list today? Let’s make it a great day today and change the world together!
David’s best-selling book, Life as a Daymaker: How to Change the World Simply by Making Someone’s Day, has helped generate a worldwide kindness movement.
Click here to see all my posts featuring David Wagner.
ABOUT PHIL BOLSTA
Through God’s Eyes: Finding Peace and Purpose in a Troubled World, is a road map for living a more peaceful, beautiful life. It’s the one book that explains how dozens of spiritual principles interact, how to weave them together into a cohesive worldview, and how to practically apply this spiritual wisdom to daily life.
Who will benefit from reading Through God’s Eyes?
Anyone who is on a spiritual path, or wants to start one.
Anyone who loves life, or wants to learn how to.
Anyone who is happy, or wants to be happier.
Click on the link below to download a FREE 28-page chapter!
SEE EVERY MOMENT AS A GIFT
Click here to visit the Through God’s Eyes website.
Click here to ask Phil to add you to his e-mail list for updates on his blog and books.
Here is a two-minute video introduction to Through God’s Eyes.
• an overview of the book
• the complete table of contents
• the Foreword by Caroline Myss
• my Introduction
• chapter excerpts
• a sample end-of-chapter story
• endorsements from authors and thought leaders
Just click on the link below to download your free PDF sampler!
THROUGH GOD’S EYES PDF SAMPLER
Schedule a Mastery Mentoring phone session with Phil to learn how to apply principles of spiritual living more effortlessly and effectively. Priced affordably! Click here to e-mail Phil for details.
Phil’s eBook, The Logic of Living a Spiritual Life: Supporting a Life of Faith Through Logic and Reason, is now available for 99 cents.
Order it at GodIsLogical.com.
In this eBook, you’ll find answers to questions like:
• What is the cornerstone of a spiritual life, and why?
• What is the secret to liberating yourself from other people’s judgments and expectations?
• How do you reconcile the “free will vs. Divine Will” conundrum?
• Why is there an exception to “Everything happens for a reason”?
Those who worship logic instead of God are only half right. Not only is it logical to believe in God and to live a faith-based life, the existence of a loving, benevolent God that governs all creation is perhaps the only systematic worldview that explains every aspect of life.
Phil is also the author of Sixty Seconds: One Moment Changes Everything, a collection of 45 inspiring, life-changing stories from prominent authors and thought leaders he interviewed. The roster of storytellers includes Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, Neale Donald Walsch, Caroline Myss, Larry Dossey, Rachel Naomi Remen, Bernie Siegel, Dean Ornish, and Christiane Northrup. Sixty Seconds has been translated into four languages: Italian, German, Spanish, and Portuguese. Reading this book is like spending a few minutes face to face with each of the contributors and listening to their personal stories.
Click here to order Sixty Seconds.
Click here to read unsolicited testimonials from readers.
Learn more by visiting the official Sixty Seconds website.
Here is a three-minute video introduction to Sixty Seconds.