Have you written a book that you know will make a difference in the world? Are you an artist or musician who wants to make a positive contribution and touch people’s lives? If so, here are some tips that can help you share your gifts and build awareness of your work.
If you have a book, CD, artwork or other product you are trying to market, you need to build a platform: a multifaceted marketing approach that efficiently and effectively reaches your target audience. Building a platform is a make-or-break factor for publishers considering a book proposal. Authors today are expected to perform the majority of the marketing and promotion for their books.
Starting a blog is your all-important first step. A blog is the linchpin around which every other component of your platform will revolve. The more valuable the content on your blog, the more apt a reader will be to visit again and eventually become aware of your offerings.
What do you write about on your blog? Anything and everything that relates to the work you’re trying to do in the world. Include whatever you feel will add value to people’s lives. Write what you yourself would be interested in reading.
Whatever you write, write from the heart. Be genuine and authentic. Social media is all about building relationships. If you use this strategy simply to sell products, it won’t work. People will see right through you. If you’re not interested in connecting with like-minded people one on one, do not read any further.
Seriously, stop reading this unless you’re truly interested in contributing your talents to make the world a better place.
Okay, let’s keep moving. These tips can help you make your blog a destination site to those seeking beauty and inspiration. (NOTE: I am not going into detail on the details here. This post is designed as an overview. To learn more about any of the ideas presented here, search Google for how-to info.)
• Offer an RSS feed on your blog. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication or Rich Site Summary. Essentially, it’s a way for people to subscribe to your blog. They’ll be notified whenever you create a new post.
• Offer an option on your blog that allows people to sign up for your e-mail list.
• When you get a comment on your blog or a reply to a Twitter tweet or a response to a Facebook post or any other one-on-one communication, respond immediately. Remember, it’s all about relationships. It’s very gratifying when people tell you that your prompt and personal response has made them “feel important.” Everyone is hungry for connection and meaning. Make someone’s day by reaching out and saying thank you.
• Whenever you hear from somebody, ask if you can add them to your e-mail list for updates on your work. (If you haven’t noticed by now, an online platform is all about synergy. Everything is connected to everything else and it all circles back to your blog.)
• When you post something of especially high value on your blog, send an alert to your e-mail list with a link to that post.
• The better the quality of your post, the better the chance that others will mention it on their own blogs and e-mails and link back to your blog. Every positive comment from a third party adds that much more value and credibility to your work.
• The more often you post to your blog, the faster you will build awareness of your work and a following for your posts. At the very least, post three times a week.
• At the end of every blog post, add some information about yourself and what you have to offer so people can get to know you and become aware of your work. Never directly sell what you’re offering. Did I mention that social media is about building awareness and relationships, not selling products? If what you have to offer is of value, people will discover and determine that on their own.
• Liberally sprinkle your posts with links to other sites. That increases the relevance of your writing and improves your positioning within search engines. Remember, BLOG is now considered an acronym for Better Listings On Google.
• Every time you post to your blog, post a link to that post on Twitter. Set up your Twitter account so that every tweet is also automatically posted in Facebook. Expand your reach by investing the time to consistently add Twitter followers and Facebook friends.
• Comment on other blogs, making sure to list your own blog‘s URL at the bottom of your comment, thereby driving more traffic to your blog.
• Build a presence on Amazon. Create an author page and a profile page. Solicit reviews from top Amazon reviewers by sending your book or CD to those whose profiles are in sync with your own. Also, find books or CDs similar to your own and check to see if reviewers who have given those books or CDs four or five stars have listed their e-mail address; if so, let them know about your book or CD. The more great reviews you get, and the higher profile the reviewer, the more synergy you create on Amazon, which leads to more numerous and visible listings and recommendations.
Keep in mind that every blog post, tweet and e-mail you produce is yet another seed planted in rich cyber-soil, a seed which then takes on a life of its own. A popular post or comment can quickly go viral and drive increasingly large numbers of visitors to your blog.
No matter how many books or records or paintings you sell, the most rewarding responses you get will be the ones thanking you for making a difference in someone’s life. Ultimately, this strategy isn’t about having a strategy. It’s about touching people’s lives and leaving them—and you—better for it.
Click here to view all my posts related to writing.
ABOUT PHIL BOLSTA
Through God’s Eyes: Finding Peace and Purpose in a Troubled World, is a road map for living a more peaceful, beautiful life. It’s the one book that explains how dozens of spiritual principles interact, how to weave them together into a cohesive worldview, and how to practically apply this spiritual wisdom to daily life.
Who will benefit from reading Through God’s Eyes?
Anyone who is on a spiritual path, or wants to start one.
Anyone who loves life, or wants to learn how to.
Anyone who is happy, or wants to be happier.
Click on the link below to download a FREE 28-page chapter!
SEE EVERY MOMENT AS A GIFT
Click here to visit the Through God’s Eyes website.
Click here to ask Phil to add you to his e-mail list for updates on his blog and books.
Here is a two-minute video introduction to Through God’s Eyes.
• an overview of the book
• the complete table of contents
• the Foreword by Caroline Myss
• my Introduction
• chapter excerpts
• a sample end-of-chapter story
• endorsements from authors and thought leaders
Just click on the link below to download your free PDF sampler!
THROUGH GOD’S EYES PDF SAMPLER
Schedule a Mastery Mentoring phone session with Phil to learn how to apply principles of spiritual living more effortlessly and effectively. Priced affordably! Click here to e-mail Phil for details.
Phil’s eBook, The Logic of Living a Spiritual Life: Supporting a Life of Faith Through Logic and Reason, is now available for 99 cents.
Order it at GodIsLogical.com.
In this eBook, you’ll find answers to questions like:
• What is the cornerstone of a spiritual life, and why?
• What is the secret to liberating yourself from other people’s judgments and expectations?
• How do you reconcile the “free will vs. Divine Will” conundrum?
• Why is there an exception to “Everything happens for a reason”?
Those who worship logic instead of God are only half right. Not only is it logical to believe in God and to live a faith-based life, the existence of a loving, benevolent God that governs all creation is perhaps the only systematic worldview that explains every aspect of life.
Phil is also the author of Sixty Seconds: One Moment Changes Everything, a collection of 45 inspiring, life-changing stories from prominent authors and thought leaders he interviewed. The roster of storytellers includes Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, Neale Donald Walsch, Caroline Myss, Larry Dossey, Rachel Naomi Remen, Bernie Siegel, Dean Ornish, and Christiane Northrup. Sixty Seconds has been translated into four languages: Italian, German, Spanish, and Portuguese. Reading this book is like spending a few minutes face to face with each of the contributors and listening to their personal stories.
Click here to order Sixty Seconds.
Click here to read unsolicited testimonials from readers.
Learn more by visiting the official Sixty Seconds website.
Here is a three-minute video introduction to Sixty Seconds.