I love this quote by Paramahansa Yogananda. it says so much in just a few words.
When you realize that life is a joyous battle of duty and at the same time a passing dream, and when you become filled with the joy of making others happy by giving them kindness and peace, in God’s eyes your life is a success.
In the first line alone, Yogananda affirms that:
• Life is a struggle
• We are here for a purpose
• Joy can be found in every moment
• This reality is not the ultimate Reality
• Ultimately, we will look back at this existence as a dream, just as we awaken every morning and look back with amusement or relief at the dreams that seemed so real in our sleeping hours
In the next line, he affirms that:
• We will find meaning and purpose through service
• Lasting joy is available through serving others, not through serving our own desires
• Kindness is always an option
• We are all ambassadors of divine love
In the last eight words, he affirms that:
• Ultimately, everything we do is for God
• We must live to please God instead of seeking to please our own ego
• We will be successful regardless of whether we achieve career and financial goals, as long as we stay true to ourselves and our ideals
• Ultimately, success is determined by the quality of our relationships—with friends and family, with colleagues, with ourselves, with God, with the world at large, and, through our words and deeds, even with people we will never personally meet
Wow. That’s packing an awful lot of wisdom into just one sentence!
Click here to view all my posts about Paramahansa Yogananda and Self-Realization Fellowship.